What problem are we solving for?
- email breach
- online accounts or identity compromised
- removing the headache of memorizing hundreds of passwords for all services
Best practices for password managements are:
- never repeat/reuse your password
- you should memorize only a handful of master passwords (3-5), and let a good password manager randomly create and change your other passwords
- it’s okay if you don’t know any of your passwords for all of your websites/accounts; you shouldn’t worry about it.
- length of the password is more important than weird characters; good passwords are 20+ characters long; good trick is to use a phrase or a short sentence, which is easy for you to remember, but hard to crack by brute force, i.e. “SkyIsBlueToday$468” or “Got2BirdsWith1Stone“
Recommended Password-Management software:
- LastPass.com – if you are okay with it being hosted in the cloud
- KeePass.info – if you want to self-host and sync your password vault